Just About Anything

Saturday, April 11, 2009

Back on line

Well: I know it's been a long time since I've been online with this blog. Sorry. Since my last blog, I've lost my mom, not been very successful finding a permanent job, had some very tiring health issues, and just been a bit out of it.

I am now trying to get something started in memory of my mom. It is going to be dedicated to veterans who are confined to a wheelchair. My mom always made blankets. They were made as quilts or afghans and she loved making them for the homeless people. I kind of feel that many of the veterans in the US are what we can consider "homeless". Yes they have a roof over their heads, but, they have been either injured in a conflict or have now deteriorated so much from their time in the military that they can no longer function without the help of a wheelchair. Some are even confined to the bed for the rest of their lives. We need to give back to them as much as we can. I am a veteran, but am still able to walk and function on my own. I am visiting a Veteran's Hospital for my medical care at this time and have seen so many vets who are riding around in our very cold climate (PA) and can see that they are very uncomfortable and many times very cold.

My project is called "Belle's Blankets for Vets". It is named after my mom, Annabelle, and I hope she is looking down on me blessing this project. If anyone is interested in either making a blanket, afghan, or quilt for a vet, please contact me at eirland@aol.com. I have started making afghans from all of the extra yarn that was left over after my mom passed away. I know that she would be pleased if I use the yarn for something like this. If you don't know how to knit or crochet, please pass this on to someone you know who does know how. If you have someone who has a bunch of yarn that can be used to make an afghan, please contact me. If you know of a vet who is in need of this service, please contact me as well. Realize that all requests for "blankets" will need to be verified for authenticity and it may take some time before the "blanket" gets there since at this time, it is just me making them. So please be patient and as much help as you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home